The Records Bureau is responsible for the following:
- Control and distribution of forms, copies of reports, and related documents
- Compilation and filing of the Uniform Crime Reports
- False alarm billing and registrations
- Vacant home registrations
- Maintenance of criminal processes and related notifications
- OPRA-discovery which provides proper reports upon request that comply with current OPRA regulations, the Morris County Prosecutor, and Attorney General guidelines
Motor Vehicle Crash Reports
If you need a copy of a crash report you may obtain a copy from the Records Bureau. Reports are usually completed seven days after the date of the crash. Please call the Records Bureau before you respond to headquarters to confirm that your report is complete. There is a charge for the crash report.
You may also access your crash report via the internet. Please note, there is also a charge for this service. While accessing the website simply enter your last name, date of the crash, and the incident report number.
If you received a traffic summons you must read the back of the summons. This will explain your rights and responsibilities in detail. A summons issued for a motor vehicle crash with an injury will require a court appearance. You must contact the court at least seven days before the notice to appear date on the front of the summons, if you intend to plead not guilty. You have a right to issue a summons to the other driver within 30 days of the crash. The Morris Township Municipal Court may be contacted at 973-593-3026.
Once a summons is issued only the court can address a summons. As soon as possible, notify your insurance company that you were involved in a crash. Your insurance company will advise you how to file a claim if necessary.
If your vehicle was towed from the crash you are responsible for all towing charges and any storage fees that may occur. If you received a Motor Vehicle Crash Sheet from the officer at the time of the crash and your vehicle was towed, the tow company that has your vehicle will be indicated on the lower portion of that form. Morris Township typically uses four towing companies.
- Ajaco Towing, 1029 Edwards Road, Parsippany, NJ, Phone: 973-882-5576
- Basking Ridge Towing, LLC, 79 Martin Luther King Ave, Morristown NJ, Phone: 908-604-8554
- C&L Towing, 45 Dumont Place. Morristown NJ, Phone: 973-386-9866
- Eagle Towing, 40 S Jefferson Road, Whippany, NJ, Phone: 973-884-2742
- Mesler's Towing, 163 Morris St., Morristown NJ, Phone: 973-267-4515
- Morristown Auto Body, 17 MLK Avenue, Morristown, NJ, Phone: 973-267-7665
Alarm RegistrationLink to page
Discovery RequestsLink to page
Motor Vehicle Crash ReportsLink to page
Open RecordsLink to page
Temporary Handicap InformationLink to page
Towing InformationLink to page
Traffic SummonsesLink to page
Vacant Home CheckLink to page